Monday, November 9, 2009

Why Astrology?

Have you ever wondered about God? I use God because it's only three letters; you can use whatever label you choose; Father, the Force, Goddess, Allah and on and on. Jehovah, the choices are unlimited. Regardless of what you choose to call this elusive concept and I say concept because you can't see it, touch it, feel it or hear it, how do you know it's there? The Bible tells you it's there. The Koran tells you it's there. The Kabbalah tells you it's there but none of them can prove it’s there. Each one asks you to take it on faith that it’s there. The scientists can’t prove it or disprove it. Only if you know that the words written in these books are actually the Word of God can you accept them as true.

It’s a rather nebulous way of looking at such an important thing, don’t you think? The Baptist preacher preaches fire and brimstone. The Catholics preach guilt. Every religion has its own way of getting you to believe in God. It’s all very confusing. Faith is more than believing, Faith is actually knowing that God exists. It takes a great leap of faith to have faith; you’re taking it upon yourself to know something that is unknowable. Unless you take a shot at astrology.

What would it mean to you if there was a way to prove that there is a higher intelligence, a God so to speak? What would it be worth to you? For me it was worth my life. Astrology gave me a Faith that I’ve never let go of, even in the worst of times. Especially in the worst of times. Because I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that God exists. How, you ask? Well, let me tell you...

When I was 29 - called in astrology the first “Saturn Return” - my life was in tatters. I’d walked away from being a cop to become a poet, and that’s no exaggeration. My wife and I were divorcing and life was spinning away from me. In the middle of this storm I happened to meet a guy about my age. By coincidence or synchronicity we got together and the basis for a lifetime friendship was created. He was experiencing the same kind of things that I was. Mucho common ground.

Where he was different, though, was that he was an astrologer and he introduced me to the art. He “did my chart” and proceeded to tell me where I had been. Not where I was going. And boy, did he hit some nails right on the head! He described situations in my past, major turning points, that had brought me to where I was that day. If he had predicted my future I would have taken it with a grain of salt. A large grain of salt. Yeah, right, how are you going to prove that? You can’t and he didn’t.

When I realized just how accurate he was with my past, my question, like everyone’s in that situation, was "how could he possibly know those things?" To me it was gibberish, to him it was right there in black and white. When I finally accepted the fact that what I was hearing was real, I asked myself, “so, who put that together?” If the planets, the sun and the moon had the symbolism to indicate what I had done in the past, then someone had to be in charge of creating them! And, gee, who could that possibly be? God, the Force, Allah and Jehovah? Yep, all of them or all One of them. The point was that there was something greater than I, something I could logically put my Faith in. Proven to me by astrology. I had no idea at that time where my new understanding would take me, but when you choose a spiritual path the only thing clear is that nothing is clear. You have to take it on Faith that the road will lead you in the right direction. Faith not belief. Knowing not hoping.

So, for thirty plus years I’ve been following my Path. I began to study astrology way back then, and will continue to study it until the time comes to move on. When I do a reading, I love the light that comes into a person’s eyes when they finally get it. When it shows them that they’re not crazy, that there are real reasons behind the things that happen. And that the choice is always ours whether to turn right or turn left. And it shows them that there is something greater than themselves. How else would this system work? - It's the oldest system in the world - If not to shed Light on our path to spirituality, to growth, to life? Well then, that’s why astrology.

No comments:

Post a Comment